For those of you who know me, you probably already know my support of alternative healing modalities. Does "alternative medicine" really need to be an alternate, or should it be a viable option covered by our health insurance? I'll let you think about that question.

A loved one recently went to an "Immediate Care" clinic. She had hurt her shoulder and wanted to make sure nothing was broken or torn. (I find it a little ironic I had almost the same injury three weeks ago.) After signing in, she waited three hours to be seen. A nurse took her into a room, didn't ask her any questions regarding why she was there, then took her temperature and blood pressure. The nurse told her to go back into the waiting room.

Shortly after she sat back down, three more people entered the waiting room. One person was a woman with her son. The boy had the flu. The third person was a woman who nearly cut her thumb off at work. She was bleeding profusely-of course. Crazily enough, the boy with the flu was seen first! Doesn't that violate logic? There's a woman bleeding with the possibility of going into shock, hurting herself further, and maybe losing the ability to attach her thumb since so much time has passed, and you'll see a boy who you can't really do a whole lot for? Ugh.

As hour five approaches, my loved one finally gets an x-ray and is ushered into a room. She's told the following, "we don't think anything is broken. Here's a prescription for Vicodin. Ice it. If it doesn't feel better in five days, you should get an MRI." No muscle testing was done, no one would listen to how she was injured, and the woman with nearly no thumb was still waiting to be examined.

Now...what is wrong with this scenario? (this is asked sarcastically of course)

Contrast this with my experience. I injured my shoulder. I talked to licensed massage therapists, a naprapath, and an acupuncturist. Mind you, these are people I know and I didn't go in for a treatment, massage or session. i.e. I wasn't paying for their services. I was asked exactly how I injured myself, whether or not my pain was dull and achy or sharp and shooting, whether or not it referred down my arm, and many other questions. Multiple muscle tests were done to rule out what was damaged and what wasn't. I was given advice on how to take care of it-icing it wasn't an option unless I did that along with heat-and an intense massage. Though I felt nauseated during the massage due to the pain, I knew it was for a greater benefit. I was forced into a healing crisis! This means that my injury felt worse for about a day and a half, but then suddenly healed completely by day two.

I WAS NOT GIVEN PHARMACEUTICALS.

Perhaps the word "alternative" in alternative medicine means an alternative to shitty care? Though the phrase, "alternative medicine", isn't used much and is a bit outdated, I thought it was a fun little play on words here. The state of the U.S. health care system is horrible. My loved one wasn't getting treated in a ghetto, but in a fairly wealthy neighborhood. This shouldn't even matter. I believe everyone in this country should have access to reliable health care. I also think that anatomy classes should be required in school. You get a "users manual" with all your electronic equipment don't you? Well, who's giving out the manuals on how to treat your body so it functions in its optimal way? There's a lot of misinformation out there. Don't get me started on vaccinations!

I think the number one reason why I use alternative healing modalities is because they work. I'm not shoving chemicals into my body to cover up the root of my problem. Some of the things are not the most comfortable or attractive processes, but when the issue is gone, it's gone. The second most important reason is that I'm actually listened to. I've always thought it's important to explain histories of injuries, how long I've had a certain ailment, and what makes it worse or better. This information is strangely unimportant to most Western doctors. We're in an age where you need to take a pill to fix what another pill is doing to your body. This is ridiculous.

Just like you'd research a Mistress to session and thoroughly negotiate play time, you should find other options. Knowledge is power, but belief solidifies that strength. Your health is so important and needs to be valued. For those who are in my service know that I give them tips on how to take care of themselves. When you're healthy you can have more fun:)

0 comments: