Yesterday was my first time going to Chicago Flotation Tanks. Their website is here: http://chicagofloatationtanks.com/floatation.html. A dear friend of mine had asked me if I wanted to go. He described experiences of deep meditation, relaxation, auditory hallucinations(hearing knocking when that wasn't the case), and invigoration.

For those of you that know me I definitely have a deep fascination with sensory deprivation as well as overload. The tanks provide 10 inches of water and a light tight door. If you want to have a little light you can prop the door open easily with a towel. Though, me being curious and wanting the whole effect I kept the door sealed. You float nude and my only complaint is that the water felt cold at first. Once I settled into floating I started to warm up and felt a bit more comfortable.

Time passed very quickly. I was alone in pitch darkness with my own thoughts at first. It took some time to relax my neck fully and ease into the water. Once submerged, I couldn't even hear the hum of the white noise machine provided in the room. Ahhh! A sensory deprivation lover's dream! As I float a bit from side to side I could feel the boundaries of the tank. It took some getting used to just floating in the middle. I believe the effects of the float were much better once I concentrated on this. Slowly drifting off into a clear meditative space, I lost sight of the orientation of my body and the fact I was actually in water.

There were a few times I had auditory hallucinations-I kept hearing knocks that weren't happening. On one occasion I actually had to open the door to the tank because I honestly thought my time was up-hence the knocking. The red light to signal the end of my float was not on and I was relieved to have more time in the tank! It was very easy for me to drift back into my wonderland.

Once the knocking came I had a very hard time lifting my arms from the water to reach the door. I felt heavy but light at the same time. The warm shower afterwards was probably one of the best showers I've ever taken. I was so at peace with everything surrounding me...though I seemed to be moving in slow motion for the next half hour out of the tank. The sense of euphoria I felt lasted for hours after leaving the tanks. I will definitely do this again and recommend this experience to those that both enjoy sensory deprivation and the meditative states that can result!

2 comments:

slave said...

i have been in the tanks before. Happy You approve.

submissively,

slave mark

Natalya Sadici said...

Oh definitely! I would love to make a habit of going once a month!